Sunday, October 11, 2009

First Days in Sydney

Well...Vicki and I arrived back in Sydney a few days ago after a few airport fiascos. We didn't get to the house until 1 am, however if we'd actually arrived on time we would have been absolutely soaked in a rainstorm that had come through earlier. Oh, I forgot to mention that our plane was struck by lightening on the way into Melbourne. Gosh I love flying...

Day 1 was spent at the aquarium which was pretty cool. I spent yesterday finally getting the rest of my uniform (think they might have noticed if I was playing with no shorts???) and was thrilled that I finally found a new pair of vball shoes! Then I walked back into Chinatown and consumed a delicious meal of vaguely recognizable seafood, spicy coconut broth and noodles. Yum! Wandered through the biggest market I've ever seen (take everything on Granville Island and put it under one roof the size of a city block. They're closed on Mondays and Tuesdays so at the end of the day, in the food section, there was frantic shouting in various asian dialects as the vendors tried to unload everything.

I then went out to the neighbourhood that Sherry was staying in when I first came down to meet up with her to travel for a few weeks all those years ago (holy crap...it's been 20 years!). Glebe is a backpacker mecca that's full of young travellers, cafes and restaurants...oh my God the restaurants! Everything was there...Chinese, Japanese, Indian, Morrocan, French, Italian and on and on. This was also the place that I met my beloved Bill. Bill, I tried to call to share the moment, but the damn pay phones were not cooperating!

Off to do a giant walk through many of Sydney's parks and then off to the Mikado at the Opera House tonight.

All of the Amazons have now arrived with Deb and her husband arriving just a few hours ago. Everyone is off doing there own thing today and there seems to be something missing...oh yeah...I think we play volleyball sometime soon!

Kisses from Kimbo
XXXXXX







St. Andrews



















City hall clock

















St. Andrews (there's one in every city!)

















Da dun...da dun...dun dun dun dun dun!!!!!!











Lion fish



















Sea horses












Sea dragon...it really does look like a dragon!















Related to the manatee, I think this is called a danedong











Little ray with a very long tail!











See through fish are cool!










Who's watching who?












Path created for the olympic games


















Don't know if this will be readable, but it's at the foot of the multicoloured path that was put in for the olympic games.
















Five of nine

2 comments:

  1. Kim: it's called a dugong. Not a danegong. Read the signage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the photos of St. Andrew's and the city hall clock = ). And by the way, Congrats on the medal!!!

    ReplyDelete